Saturday 13 June 2015

Progress, Promise and Pumps



Dr. Hugh Tildesley
The biggest frustration over the last 2 weeks has been the post-thrombotic swelling of my left leg. The combination of rest, elevation and a leg length compressive stocking has returned my limb to its usual shape. I was missing it.

Functionality is returning, walked a mile last night with little discomfort or swelling.

On Monday I met with my oncologist and on Tuesday started on Chemo. My nurse was very professional with explanations of the various compounds with no holds barred description of side effects. These explanations always ended with either call the help line or go to the ER!

As I entered the chemo room, brightly lit with the never-ending sunlight we have enjoyed for the last month, my eyes went to the IV pole with multiple pumps and bags. I was reminded of the numerous Herman images, which had propensity for medical scenes.

We are doing everything we can for him
The hook up to my porto-cath went well, thankfully no leaks with infusion over 2 hours of oxaliplatin, followed by irinotecan over 90 minutes.

I was then attached to a continuous infusion of fluorouracil to be taken over the next 46 hours.

Portable infuser, filled
Infuser emptied
This infusion device is quite clever, powered by and elastic membrane (very condom like), with flow in part determined by body temperature as the flow meter is tapped close to the porto-cath entry. On the left my infuser filled, on the right a cartoon of an empty device.As the photos show it is quite bulky and I have been supplied with a man purse to tote this thing around.Over 46 hours the balloon contracts pushing the solution via tubing into the porto-cath. The process is completed when the balloon is totally deflated. Deborah and I will need to take a course to detach the thing; I will naturally include this time for CME credits.

For the next 3 days I was supplied with various prescriptions, which worked well to control any symptoms of nausea. My energy level lapsed at the end of the week, however the nightly broadcasts of the hockey playoffs, NBA playoffs and women’s soccer easily justified my lounging around.

Edible delights of celebration at Hamish's Apartment
There are highs in every week. Hamish graduated from UCLA with his Masters in Fine Arts in screen writing. A tremendous accomplishment and he now enters a highly competitive business with the training to succeed.



A second high was learning that my GAP student, Nelson Chow was accepted into medical school at the University of Western Ontario. This program was set up in 1997 so that various clinical projects could be completed and in the meantime students could get exposure medical research. The goal of the program was to get these young, bright energetic people on their desired career path. Most wanted medical school but some followed their dreams of occupational health, PhD programs, nursing and health care policy. Along the way they have all published, attended meetings, learned the in’s and out’s of ethics committees and dealt with rejections and re-writes on their projects.

With Nelson’s success we are still batting a 1000.!

Deborah continues to support me at every possible level. I cannot imagine this process without her. On average I think I am pretty well organized, but her classical nurses training does not let me miss a pill!

Sorry gang no rant this week. Is that a good sign, maybe not?

On the way back from the agency this week we witnessed 2 MVA’s on 2 consecutive days. No one was hurt but the adrenal rush eased my fatigue for a few hours!

I think rants are good for me.

Next week is an off week, no poisons, we shall see how the energy level is. I have office and golf time booked, and look forward to getting back on the course with the usual collection of bandits.





No comments:

Post a Comment