Saturday 7 November 2015

Reflections on UK, home update



Dr. Hugh Tildeseley
How am I doing? Weight stable, averaging 165 pounds. My energy on the trip was exceptional, a little fatigued on returning home, running at about 90%.

On Tuesday (Nov 3), had another infusion of the poisons, it had been almost 1 month since the last treatment, my usual interval is 2 weeks. The beneficial effect has been a rise in my blood counts, this is protective against opportunistic infections, but I still “shake hands” with my elbow. I now taper my steroids more gradually and am working 2 , ½ days per week, rather than every 2nd week. I am so far managing quite well.


Frequently unasked questions: What is the biggest drag in this whole journey?

Simple, the unknown, but upon reflection CA or not who can tell the future.

Has there been a benefit?

Yes. To have my family rally around me is beyond description. There are perhaps medical reasons for my progress (chemo, blood sugar control, genetics of having a thin vs. thick connective tissue surrounding my tumours), but there is also the power of a lot of people having my back, their well wishes, and prayers are not to be ignored.

I have just finished my 10th treatment; I plan to continue until Christmas with a re-evaluation at that time. I really do not plan anything outside of 6 weeks in advance.

The last day in the UK:

Sleuthing in Watson's Study
 We had to be out of the apartment by 10 AM, our flight to YVR did not leave until 5:25 pm, thus a few hours to kill. We made our way to the Holmes museum, no school kids this time and an interesting walk through. Rather neat that it was possible to sit in some of the rooms, a thorough search for Sherlock’s drugs was unsuccessful.



Some biking observations: No super bike lanes in this city, please compare practical use of space vs. the Vancouver nonsense.

 
London bike lane marker
Prudent cycling in London
Vancouver bike lane, eliminates a full lane of traffic creating havoc and traffic jams at lights...scandalous















The curved doors can trap the head of an unsuspecting passenger

Watch out for the tube’s closing doors; note the curve at the top. My noggin got caught in a crowded train; extraction successful but a worry as I am on blood thinners. No harm, no foul.








We had stored our bags at Victoria station, the walk back from 22 Baker Street perhaps a little long but good preparation for the upcoming flight. We took the tube to Heathrow, a bit of a bother getting down stairs but from then on very easy, especially transferring to the Piccadilly line at Hammersmith. The golf bag storage a bit userous, however I could not imagine toting the bag to and fro London. We landed on time and were 1 hour from landing to getting in the front door.

Tesla Titillations: Note Donovan’s birthday present has arrived. For those who do not read every word of these ramblings let me take you back in time: The September 5 post

“On Wednesday’s men’s night we were on the second tee and the back shop guy was confused where to put the tee marker, I suggested a quick call to the pro shop for clarification. The conversation his end started: “ I am with Dr. Tesla’s group and was…” Classic. I do not mind his mispronunciation of my name. “ Donovan liked the description thus a new plate for the car :



The auto pilot download is working fine, prudence is the key, self-parking is problematic, and a new download tonight may fix it. Not an issue for me, other than getting the product that I paid for!


 
Liam Kent in Action
You may recall on a recent Tesla trip we visited Deborah’s nephew, Liam Kent, at George Fox University. He is on a baseball scholarship there, a solid left-handed pitcher. At our lunch together he confided to us his goals and wishes for the coming year. It seems he is ahead of schedule, having made the team and likely as a starter. In addition the West Coast League, Bellingham Bells, have made a 10-day try out offer. This is the league where many of the college players play in the summer. Nice feather in his cap!

The rest of the month is filling up, Deborah’s sister , Susan is visiting for a few days, Catherine returns on Tuesday for a short visit and belated birthday celebration. Hamish recorded a beautiful song for her, check it out. ( copy and paste into your URL, then play)

https://soundcloud.com/hamish-tildesley-617912620/blue-eyes






Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment