Saturday 13 February 2016

Safely back from Palm Springs



Status Report:

Dr. Hugh Tildesley
Stable. Blood work on Monday, poisons on Tuesday. The 5-FU is now causing some bowel issues, which will be addressed with Dr. Renouf. Therapy is mainly limited by 2 major variables, response and side effects.





Random Stuff: While in line at Ralph’s I was behind 2 gentleman of my age. They were bickering about their brand of cereal, “ I told you to get the muslix”, said one. “I happen to like All Bran! “ said the other. One of them was very well dressed in a pink shirt, the other man equally well turned out. As the check out lady was watching all this she commented to them, “ My aren’t you an attractive couple!” This got their attention and the subject of their little tiff was replaced by a vehement declaration of their heterosexuality.

As outrageous as her comments may have seemed, Palm Springs has been an historic getaway for the now middle age gay community so she knows her customers, just a wrong guess this time!

You cannot make this stuff up.

Social: Gorgeous (George Seslija) and I are staying at The Pope’s house on PGA West. I have played 4 rounds in 4 days, the first 3 days with better scores by 5 shots, and the last close to the best. I still struggle with my loss of distance but my enthusiasm is in tact.

A man content
George loves to cook and we have had high quality meals each night, he works so hard at meal preparation, which takes at least ½ day, I sometimes jokingly refer to him as the help. I have been royally treated and after each morning game enjoy taking in the sun, a short nap and then enjoying Gorgeous’ creations.

George at work





As busy as George was it seemed he was always on the phone doing yet another deal.








Through our Vancouver connections we have had some wonderful venues, Morningside (Rob MacDonald), The Palms (Sandy Bain), our last 2 rounds at the Norman course here at PGA West.

I take strength in my friend Barry MacDonald who hearing of some of my golf distress advised: “ Hugh we are both at a stage where we must celebrate every shot, whether it be good or bad.” I have taken great strength in his wisdom.

All of these friends have my back.

The source of heat
Pope gets a facial The fire pit is marvelous, a wonderful gathering in the evening. On one of the first nights he let the gas run a few seconds too long, his lighting creating, a fireball, exfoliating exposed skin. We can laugh about it now.



A man content with his day
The  view from the Patio
The pit was a wonderful gathering place after supper to enjoy the clear desert sky, and a review of the days events.








Tesla Titillations: Some fans love this section, others find it overbearing. I still take strength in that one of my patients found it the single best source of info about the car, thus I perseverate.

Last night, as I drove past my garage the car “ dinged “ me and the screen showed a perfect image of the parking area of my garage and asked me to auto park. I complied and after a few corrective maneuvers the car was tucked into its usual spot, steering and power untouched by me. As Deborah can testify, the garage is small, the car wide, and parking it has been a challenge. Tick off another application of autopilot that has utility.

Liam after a great outing 
Shout out to Liam: I have written about my nephew who is a left-handed pitcher at George Fox University. He had the exceptional honour of starting the first game of the season 10 days ago, going 3 2/3 innings. Two days ago in a tournament in Texas he started against third ranked Emeroy, going 6 2/3 innings, and left the game with the team down only 1-0, the run, unearned. This has earned him the season start on Feb 20. Early going but a great start for a fine young man.

Air Force 1 in Palm Springs
The difference between Canada and the US: On the tarmac at Palm Springs, Air Force 1. Barack enjoying a weekend in the sun. Can you imagine if our Prime Minister used a government plane for a weekend outing?








Rantage: It happens infrequently but when it does it can spoil your day. This is my complaint letter to AC.


To whom it may concern:

On Friday, February 12, 2016, I flew from Palm Springs to Vancouver on Flight 1825. I must compliment Air Canada on the decorum of the staff who checked me in, and the flight attendant, who were all superb.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said about “ Danny”, who was supposedly in control of the boarding of, “ his flight.” His demeanour was disrespectful, aggressive and rude.

As an example; as the old and young were being pre-boarded an unfortunate passenger got into line behind them. He was told to “get back”, and those of us who took a few steps forward to follow were met by Daniel walking briskly towards us with his hand raised telling us to step back. We were at least 20 feet from the lady who was to check our boarding passes etc. He was talking to First Class Passengers, who have paid top dollar to travel.

This man should not be exposed to the public. He had a very negative effect on others and me on our journey. I trust your HR Department will deal with him appropriately.


Yours truly


Hugh Tildesley MD

AC   continues to live up to the motto:

We’re not happy until you’re not happy!

Until next time








No comments:

Post a Comment