Monday 27 April 2015

The Last Week of April



Dr. Hugh Tildesley
Just finished a smooth 18 holes, 41/41 for 82. Butler and I smoked the Pope (Brian McGuire) and Russell. (Dr. Jim) We had a net 65 they were even par at 72. Plus Butler birdied the 18 th for the automatic extra $5.00.

Me and the Pope, note his winning grin
These matches are not without theatre. On 14 Russell and I were the same distance from the hole, I volunteered “ good for good”, meaning we both conceded our puts. Before the Pope could interject the deal was done, unfortunately it was not totally equitable as my put was for par, his for bogey. The Pope was duly irritated. Before he  earned his papal nick name he was known as “bitchy competitive”, shortened of course to BC. Fortunately the concession made no difference, we relented to his continuous sighing and gave him a 6 footer to tie!


So very therapeutic. irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.

A huge issue for me to walk 5 miles irrespective of the score. I treasure the time I spend with these guys, I think they know it.

A typical Bandon View
Butler and I were scheduled to leave on April 27th to Bandon Dunes. It is the annual Amateurgolf.com 2 man best ball. It would have been my eighth year and a highlight of my golf schedule.


The Club House at Bandon
Bandon Dunes is one of my favorite destinations in the world. The brainchild of Mike Kaiser, it has legitimately grown to be recognized as the premiere golf destination in North America. It is a pure example of " build it and they will come". The 4 golf courses are unique, provide stunning vistas and of course are challenging by design and the ever-changing weather conditions. A good read on the building of Bandon is a very informative book, " Dream Golf”, by Stephen Goodwin.

I am off this week and feel less pressured in attending to many of the tasks that lie ahead.

Over the weekend we told our children of the diagnosis. Donovan was over for brunch and in fact did not seem very surprised, there were hints I was not my self and he picked up on every one of them. He volunteered that on our return from Paris at the end of February he found that I was sounding “ older”, very astute.

Hamish had had a suspicion; his good friend Jeremy Chan is a few months away from graduating from Vanderbilt Medical School. He immediately was concerned about he blood clot story but did not tell Hamish directly his suspicions.

Catherine was relaxing after completing her exams. A horrible time to hear this sort of news, but there is no optimal time. Although I had said nothing the boys pitched in, Hamish within an hour had arranged to fly from LA to Edmonton and drive to Vancouver with Catherine. What a relief . I did not want her driving alone. Donovan has as well offered but 2 drivers made the most sense.

This weekend all will be home. The support is immeasurable, thankfully I am feeling well and this past week maintained my weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment