Saturday 25 April 2015

The Second Week


Dr. Hugh Tildesley
An ominous date, April 13 was my liver biopsy. Again Dr. Patrick Vos was in charge and the procedure proceeded with minimal discomfort and the closest suspected metastatic lesion was biopsied. I was comforted to have Deborah and my friend and colleague Dr. Jim Russell to wait the 90 minutes with me to be sure there were no complications. Now all that was left to do was to hurry up and wait.

Two days later Heather Leitch asked to see me as her last patient, the reason was obvious and in essence a formality. She confirmed what we all suspected, the liver biopsy consistent with undifferentiated adenocarcinoma, consistent with a pancreatic primary. In essence, I had a severe disease, not operable, and with treatment options that could prolong life for an undetermined amount of time. She had made an urgent appointment for me to see Dr. Melosky at the cancer agency for the next day. This was to get me into the “system” as soon as possible.

The Phone
The following morning I made my way to the agency, Deborah was to meet me there later after an errand. I checked in at the front desk, they had my name and I was directed across the lobby to the phone. “ What phone I asked incredulously?” The phone over there as the clerk waved her hand. All I could see was another reception area and the usual office stuff, and yes there was a phone there. “ You mean that black phone which is part of that work area?”  She confirmed my description.

Don Adams as Maxwell Smart
I sauntered over to “the phone”, and stood nonchalantly awaiting it to ring. I imagined I was Maxwell Smart, trying to get into see the Chief from that hilarious show “Get Smart”. The phone rang and it was all I could do to not say…” Is that you chief”?

In fact it was a lady from the record department really only interested in my name and birthday. Forms were dutifully filled out Barb Melosky was very kind, she listened to my initial reluctance to follow conventional therapy and my desire to pursue genetically targeted therapy. Within minutes she had arranged an appointment for the following Monday, some blood tests and a repeat CT scan in early May to assess the aggressiveness of the tumour. My dilemma is that apart from weight loss I felt good. My legs were improving each day on the new anticoagulant, my energy level normal. I really did not want to interrupt this without compelling reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment