Sunday 16 August 2015

Feeling Better

 
Dr. Hugh Tildesley
 The week after the poison infusion now consists of completing the taper of steroids, which out of necessity I have prolonged. This leads to a balancing act of diet and sugar levels in order to optimize my quality of life. I seem to be getting the hang of it and for the most part feel well. As mentioned I am taking a one-week vacation from the poisons with blood work and the next infusion delayed a week. Next objective data will be Aug 24.

The challenges remain as to how I will feel day to day and leads to a lack of confidence in making plans for fear I will have to back out of a commitment. I am slowly working through this and as I write this I am flying over Sault Ste Marie on my way to Toronto. The Canadian Seniors Golf Association Annual Tournament is one of my favourite activities. The Pope (Brian McGuire) is a governor of the organization and arranged for them to hold a spot for me. I am deeply grateful for this dispensation and touch wood will participate as in years past. It is reaching these short-term goals, which gives me strength, optimism and a pretense of normality.

Deborah is accompanying me and will share some of the experiences. More importantly she and I will touch base with most of her sibs, coming from a family of 8, she becomes a different person when she returns to the litter.

Pictured here is my worst nightmare of ravel, we are traveling considerably lighter!
What happens when they charge for carts

Adventures with the Tesla: Many from the 5 o’clock club and beyond now ask me about the car, rather than my health. My main concern when purchasing the car was not learning to  maximize the electronic and computer innovations. I now estimate that I am applying for a Masters having graduated from High School and just finishing my Bachelors.

I took a second road trip to Whistler with good friend and co-pilot Drew Thompson. The purpose of this road test was charger utilization and cruise control maximization. As usual we stopped at Squamish, the super charger there topped up the battery, taking as long as it took us to finish our latte. Drew took over controls and parking in Whistler village’s underground garage led us directly to a charge station. We were obliged to pay for parking but the plug in was included. It is analogous to getting a gas voucher if you were parking a gas-guzzler!
 
A fast charger
On the return trip I was on cruise control the whole way. I did not use the gas or the brake from Whistler until getting off route 99. The cruise control shift on the column allows you to drive the car: 1) set the speed 2) if you get too close to the car in front the Tesla assumes that car’s speed at a distance you can prescribe from 1 to 6 car lengths. It accelerates in tandem as that car speeds up until reaching the prescribed speed. 3) As you enter a different speed zone an upward movement of the shift will increase the speed by 1, or 5 km increments, a downward shift the opposite. 4) If you disengage cruise it remembers the last speed, which is evident with an icon on your odometer, and a tug towards you re-establishes the cruising speed.

Initially as you are approaching the slower car in front of you your foot hovers over the break, which is probably a safe thing to do, but with practice and trust this behavour is soon modified. The benefit of all this is increased efficiency of operation with my battery consumption decreasing an estimated 10% when using cruise.

Many following this blog have complained about the over emphasis of golf in it’s contents. I can assure you that these comments will be given the usual consideration.

The arch way to the hall
Our first day in Toronto was family oriented. Charlie and Sue Jeannotte made a special visit to Toronto to see us, and Donovan flew in as well as he wanted to attend some of the Para Panam swimming. Charlie, Donovan and I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame, meeting my brother Dave. The exhibits are a real challenge for a blind person but I was able to sit with Donovan and watch the summary of the Moscow games. It brought back vivid memories and emotions that I was able to share with Donovan. 

We were able to share tactile times, as we both embraced the Stanley Cup!

Donovan made his way to the swimming finals, independently taking the GO train about 20 stops to the pool. Not bad for a blind guy in an unfamiliar city.
Rick and Donovan in Beijing 2008

David, Charlie and I made our way to Deborah’s brother’s favorite local restaurant, Allen’s. Dinner with Sue (Deborah’s sister), Charlie (Sue’s husband), their actor son Dan (Good Witch, on Hallmark TV), Deborah, Ted (Deborah’s brother) and my brother Dave were great. As we were preparing to leave Rick Mercer (who lives in the hood), came to the table, he recognized Ted as they have met before. He was extremely gracious and I was able to remind him of the scenes he did with Donovan in Beijing. He remembered the episode well and we reminisced about his “ injury”, during the shoot. His inquiries about Donovan, his career path and general well being were very sincere. It was a treat to meet up with him again.

The Mercer segment is covered in my blog ' Hugh Tildesley in Beijing", 

http://hughtildesleyinbeijing.blogspot.ca/2008/09/rick-mercer.html

also the CBC episode on youtube

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygskyNRQaCE)

The world keeps getting smaller!

Suggested reading: Oliver Sacks: On the Move

For those of you who have read Uncle Tungsten, Awakenings you will discovery another side to this highly intelligent and gifted physician and author. Rambling in parts and with an irritating and repetitive use of first names, it nevertheless provides insights into this unique character.

Movies: Ricki and the Flash
Meryl Streep is exceptional! The writing and story line a little suspect but highly recommended.

Rantage: No Translink stuff. No juicy press releases this week. I will continue to monitor the situation closely, as their collective behavours have been such an easy target.

Hockey Hall of Fame. Just for clarity this a freestanding entity with its board of directors made up of ex players, NHL owners, and influential friends of hockey.

As you follow the signs to 10 Front Street one enters a food court. Next to the left is a rather understated sign directing down a beautiful corridor. Next there is a classy sign directing you down an escalator where you encounter a bustling food court.

NO SIGN!

We walked for about 5 minutes getting to the door of the train station. After receiving helpful directions we retraced our steps to the original escalator. Still no sign but a line up. Twenty minutes later our turn to pay, one person at a counter that could easily handle 3.

The question is who does this? No signage, inadequate staff to handle holiday crowds. Pathetic.

There I feel better.

Likely another blog, mid week as I report on the Canadian Seniors Tournament and the various shenanigans associated with my friends and competitors.



2 comments:

  1. Dr T - loving your blog posts and glad to hear you're feeling well. The Tesla is a beautiful vehicle! If I ever buy a car again I hope that's the one. Enjoy your travels!

    ReplyDelete