Friday 21 August 2015

I survived Toronto.

 
Dr. Hugh Tildesley
I survived Toronto. I was nervous as to how I would stand up. Four games in 5 days, temperatures at or above 30 degrees C, and I felt well. The scores another issue, in the 90’s, but I did not finish last in the tourney. The trip has done a lot for my confidence and will make me seriously contemplate further road trips. Needless to say I am feeling stronger and quite well.

There is however the inevitable hair loss associated with the poisons. I just returned from the barber and now sport a beaner, which I have not had since age 12. I suppose you could say I am regressing on a number of fronts.

The Electric Vehicle plug in by 12 th Tee
One of these reports would not be complete without the Tesla plug…..literally. A few weeks ago I talked with Brad Pinnell, the CEO at Point Grey and mentioned it would be useful to have a plug in for electric vehicles. Interestingly there was already a power feed out to the parking lot and this week the installation was completed. The beast will now be chargeable as I navigate around Point Grey. Membership has its privileges.

Family: There was a family agenda for the trip as well. Deborah arranged to meet up with as many of her sibs as possible, sister Susan last Friday, then a mini family reunion in Guelph with sister Cecelia, brothers Rob, Chris, Ted, nephews Matthew, John and niece Amy. France (Rob’s ex) was part of the visit and so nice to see her after so many years. Deborah draws great strength from these visits, as do I. Time allowed for me to visit Bill Alguire and his wife Linda Maybarduk (Canadian Ballet (retired)), author of The Dancer Who Flew: A Memoir of Rudolf Nureyev

We compared health reports, he a double lung transplant recipient, and has been treated for a myriad of associated complications. We still can carry on as if the 3 years between dinners did not exist. We both are committed to living our particular blitzes by: Just carrying on.

I promised a report on tournament shenanigans. In the interest of avoiding litigation, my news is somewhat muted. It should be noted that ½ of our group is lawyers!

Garmin in stereo: Who needs 2 talking garmins in a car. Aydin does. He was apparently highly critical of the Pope’s device. (Not really his garmin but Spencer Lanthier’s wife’s device he “ borrowed” in Belgium), feeling it did not give enough warning about upcoming turns. As Kurt got into the car garmin in hand, the Pope decreed that it should not be used. Power access was denied. Kurt was on mute sulking, feeling strongly about his garmin’s as yet unproven superiority.

I was able to spend some time with retired Senator Mike Kirby, and witness the usual banter between he and Butler on the election gossip. His insights are unique and his mind as analytic as ever.  

I have decided to hold comments on this marathon until early September as I value your loyal visitations to this site!

We had 9 Point Grey players at the CSGA (Canadian Seniors Golf Association), plus Senator Mike Kirby as our honorary member. Our participation was the largest from any of the western clubs and we can thank the Pope for his persistence in getting western members and encouraging participation. The Pope, as a governor in the association, was asked to make remarks at the closing dinner. He mentioned this year’s King Leopold lll tournament and was kind enough to reminisce about our 2013 victory.
Captain John Nugent 2013 Leopold Champ

Spencer Lanthier,Pope,Nugent,Tildesley: Leopold Champs 2013 











The closing dinner was as festive as ever , the sea of red jackets a source of pride. A productive outcome was the formal nicknaming of Aydin: Uber.

Prince,Graham and HT
Reid Dewson is the key member of the 5 o'clock club. His brother is a member of CSGA(as was his father) and made a visit to the table.Here we are pictured with PG member Graham Porteous.





Rantage:

Translink was out of the news last week and stupidly I thought they were re-thinking their governance model. Silly me. The latest is the appointment of Mr. Jim Chiu, the recently retired chief of the Vancouver Police Force. A very well respected man, however he recently took a job with the Aquilini Group. Knowing the relationship between transit development and real-estate development the optics are not what they should be. The other appointee, also named chair was former CEO of Westminster Savings Credit Union Barry Forbes. Again, unelected, but with tremendous influence on the expenditure of public monies with no recourse for the payers, you and me, the taxpayer!

The coming week brings another infusion of poisons.

Until next time….






No comments:

Post a Comment