Saturday 12 September 2015

More Poisons, Seattle and Portland Bound

Dr. Hugh Tildesley


My status:

The last infusion was uneventful, each episode is unique, and I think the solutions differ in concentrations of the poisons. Let’s leave it at that.

The first 3 days I am on high dose of steroids, specifically Dexamethasone. This stuff inhibits side effects from the poisons, but it energizes me. I usually up most of the night, thus I clean up any desk litter and start the blog.

Weight s stable and climbing revised goal is 165 pounds. I started on light weights with multiple reps tonight. My driving distance has to improve!

The visits by Hamish and Catherine were for me magical. They are fine young people and my message not to let my predicament affect their career development has been taken to heart. For this I am extremely grateful. 
Family dinner Out

Catherine met with her Dean to see if part of her education can be done at UBC. He was very helpful, and will facilitate her wishes. So progressive and accommodating.

This week we celebrated the British Open and Zach Johnson:

The menu: British Open 2015 Zach Johnson

Appetizer:
Oysters with mint julep
To Start:
Vidalia Onion Soup
Main:
Southern fried chicken
Corn on the cob
Georgian biscuits
Marinated Portobello mushrooms
Georgian Green beans
Desert:
Peach Cobbler



The dinner was a major success with great company, good humour and always a new story. I provide the menu to chef Robert Craig and he and his staff do a spectacular job of meal preparation. There was a little hiccup with the oysters due to “red tide” on the west coast. He ordered in PEI oysters, but the smallest order he could get was for 100 of the bivalves. This was no challenge for this motley crew, all 100 were consumed! Some issues with late night behavior of men returning home with so many oysters on board but those comments remain in house to protect the guilty.

From left to right, Jim Russell,Peter Butler,Bayne Boyes,The Pope, me and my beaner,Greg Bridges. Not shown but present and accounted for, Kurt Aydin.

We have the last Major to celebrate, Australian theme in honour of Jason Day. We will endeavour to have a larger audience, as hopefully travel will be slowing down as we progress into the fall.



Tesla Titillations: Road trip. 

On Monday we are off to Seattle, take in a Mariner’s ball game, and a stay at the Mayflower Hotel. Tuesday to Portland for shopping, and a visit with Liam Kent, Deborah’s nephew on a baseball scholarship to George Fox University, in Newberg OR. We will also meet up with Genvieve Mettson, niece of close friends Anne Marie and Jeff who is doing a post doc in Portland. Her speciality is adaptation of cities to their environment, my electric car should be consistent with her views on this topic.

We will use the new travel software to manage battery top ups and see if my paranoia of battery depletion can be treated. There are a series of super chargers on the way, which should minimize tine recharging.
The car does not have a CD player. Deborah has tired of my incessant playing of the Beach Boys and is trying to get the car to broadcast one of her talking books. This is problematic as the books from the library are free but you can not transfer the audio files, thus purchase seems the only option. The books can be uploaded to an iPhone, ipad, or iPod and then blue toothed to the entertainment system.  I am happy to report this is now fully operational and Elon correctly predicted we could live without a CD player in the car.

Burnham and Berrow, followed by London theater in October:

A classic par 3 looking out onto the estuary
On my bucket list was a desire to return to Burnham and Berrow Golf Club, to which I belong. I feel healthy enough and thus will take the risk, meeting Deborah a few days later to take in the new plays in London, one of my favourite activities.

 


The arts: “ The Girl in the Spider’s web”, a continuation of the Milennium series of novels written by Steig Larsson. This latest novel written by David Lagercrantz stays true to the characterizations of Lisbeth Salendar and Mikael Blomkvist. The book is hard to put down, highly recommended.



Rantage: As predicted last time the staff returned from holidays and put the water restrictions back to level 2. Still unjustified caution. As can be seen from the graph we are at historic norms, therefore no restrictions are necessary. I have no explanation for their illogical decision-making.Duncan , who estimated the largest volume for November 1 st claims to be manipulating this whole affair. The Scotsman is a shameless money hoarder.


Until next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment