Saturday 3 October 2015

Is Science 100 years old Important?


Dr. Hugh Tildesley


Status Update: Stable. Blood work on Friday, Oct 2, was similar to previous except the anemia is progressing. So far no symptoms but the trend has been established. Most likely related to folate deficiency which is a double edge sword, tumours love folate thus a deficiency is good, but red cells get caught in the cross fire.There is also a direct effect of the poisons on my bone marrow.

CT scan and another round of poisons on Monday.




The next bit is for MD’s or biochemistry majors. 

You may recall I have attributed my turn around in July to decreasing my sugars. This stimulated me to research the role of glucose in pancreatic tumour growth. The first aspect of writing a paper on this topic is a literature review. Our preliminary impression is that indeed glucose is a major fuel and in fact tumours take it up preferentially. This makes sense, glycolysis is a very efficient way to generate energy needed for cell and tumour growth. This data is not new! Otto Warburg described this phenomenon close to 100 years ago. What we still do not know is why?

Two things are going on simultaneously, firstly Glut 1 transporters are up regulated (these are insulin independent), and secondly the normal physiology of a feedback down regulation via Glucose-6-P (the first step in glycolysis) does not happen. This is biologic vicious cycle. 

We have found little research to elucidate this mechanism. What we did find that an “ off the shelf” compound 3-bromopyruvate blocks glycolysis thus no extra energy is available irrespective of the GLUT 1 up regulation and loss of feedback down regulation. An added benefit is that this compound has little effect on normal glycolysis, just the accelerated metabolic phenomena as described by Warburg.
Dr. Otto Warburg


Pictured on the right, he won the Nobel Prize in 1931, and was nominated numerous times thereafter. He survived the Nazis due to his scientific talent and Goering deemed him only ¼.Jewish He died at age 86, in 1970. We have a working hypothesis to be revealed after a more thorough review



I need to get ready for our pilgrimage to Burnham and Berrow, I am proud to report I walked 18 holes for the first time since June. I was little fatigued the last 4 holes, but made it. The score… another confidential issue.












Tesla Titillations: I want doors like the new Tesla X. Great engineering. More and more Tesla sightings in my neighbourhood and yet no commissions yet for my unabashed praise which is clearly affecting consumer choices. My agent is right on it. This vehicle has a 400 km range, a superior safety rating, and the low center of gravity prevents rollovers.











No road trips planned as of yet, the next voyage is on BA to London. Ted Kent (my brother in law), Gorgeous (George Selija), and I are booked at Burnham on Sea, the site of Burnham and Berrow golf club where we have 3 games booked. We then travel back to Heathrow to store our clubs, and to meet Deborah for the next leg of the trip, which will be the theatre. I am so happy to be able to visit both venues, amongst my favourite in the world.

My Birthday: An understated day, capped with dinner with Donovan and my brother Dave at the Brix Restaurant. Great meal caught between VIFF films. I attach a link to Hamish’s gift to me: a song composed with the help of his sibs. I am sure the version you will view is after many sanitizing edits.

Please copy and paste into your browser to access
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSlKTSMROvk&feature=youtu.be

Donovan will supply me with personalized license plates. Motivated by a Point Grey experience where I was described as Dr. Tesla, the new plates will read “ DR  TSLA “. Image in a future blog.

Catherine phoned and her present to me was that she filled out the CBC voter preference questionnaire and discovered she was a conservative!

Election 2015:

We are approximately from a decision in a very long campaign. Not unlike previous elections Quebecers will play an important if not pivotal role. The Bloc is making a surprising surge, they will effectively erode the NDP influence, the Liberals continue to split the vote, and the conservatives are moping up the rest. The bloc may well be in a position to have an important say in government if there is not a majority (which I think there will be). Quebecers do not want to see a Liberal NDP coalition, nor do I think Canadians. Remember the polls measure opinions not votes however, the conservatives are the most efficient in converting public opinion support to votes (I call this the loyalty factor), the movement back and forth between the Libs and the NDP demonstrates a lack of this phenomenon.
PMO

PMO:(Prime Minister Obsessive) 

When in Quebec let them hear your stance on the niqab. Ignore the Communist Broadcast Corporation, this won support. PMO continues on message. Heard about Duffy or the refugees lately? Our economy is growing slowly, what recession?! Staying the course, responsible stewardship is what the gray rinsers want to hear, they vote, and they really do not give a damn about universal child care, just being taxed at a reasonable level, able to split income, and no threat of a wealth tax.





The Dauphin


The Dauphin: 

His father wore his cape over his back, quite stylish; the Dauphin waves his like a magician, problem is he is wearing a short sleeve shirt, the tricks are being exposed.








The Pretender
The Pretender: 

Quebecers are typical Canadians, we eat our home grown. The Pretender is sinking mercilessly in his “ home Province”. Changing parties for whatever reason undermines credibility. Ed Broadbent will now say,” I told you so”. In BC we have seen these NDP turncoats before, Mike Harcourt left the NDP after endorsing Adrian Dix prior to his demise. Is this stuff in their manual?







The Hugger




The Hugger: 

Stuck at her usual percentage. No growth. Only deserves to be at debates to keep the other guys honest, at which she is very effective.





The Arts Report:

Deborah has seen 19 pictures, me 16. We are both impressed at the organization and the quality of films; the Canadian films for me lead the pack.

The Room:

Great film, I predict a number of Academy Award Nominations.

Cop Car:

The first 20 minutes was slow then it just kept building! It will be in theatres.

Hyena Road: 

Better than Hurt Locker, will be in theatres but the Canadian story will not attract Oscar.

The Intern:

Another Falaradeau jem. Could be an Oscar nominee for foreign film. Extremely poignant and for me having practiced in Northern Ontario right on!

Monty Python Documentary: 

For fans like me it was awesome. It will likely be in theatres. It does not threaten Amy as a documentary.

Rantage: We visited George Fox University last month. We drove onto campus, parked in the visitors parking lot, no hassles. This campus is just like many others in the state.

The slaughter at Umpqua Community College reminds me of innocence long lost. It could have happened anywhere. I think a proper check on the perpetrators might have prevented him from having so many weapons.

When on earth will the US copy all good things Canadian, our gun laws, and our bank act?

2 comments:

  1. Keep fighting Dr. Tildesley. My and my family's prayers are with you. You are a great doctor and beautiful human being.

    ReplyDelete