Friday 9 October 2015

Reassuring Test Results


DR. Hugh Tildesley
The CT on Monday went well. I have the privilege of reviewing the results with the radiologist immediately after my imaging. I expected a good result as clinically I am feeling so well, in fact, there was part of me that did not want to do the test. The right brain won, as I needed objective reassurance that things were radiologically stable prior to going abroad. In essence that was the case. There was no evidence of tumour growth, in fact probably some regression. The density of the tumours suggests necrosis (this means death). Only a biopsy would confirm this, no need, I have already decided to continue the poisons until my clinical situation should change. This would mean a further course after this one and takes us to Christmas. More reading for you poor insomniacs!

On my bucket list was a trip to Kelowna to meet up with dear friends, the McCauleys and touch base with Doug Mulholland (Dr. Death (he is a pathologist)). This did happen due to my troubles in May and June. Both of them (Graeme and Doug) made their way to Vancouver and we had a wonderful round at Point Grey with my long time friend and colleague Ted Wilkins.

This event was preceded by dinner at PG. With Graeme, as we both celebrated a new hockey season. Graeme and I met in Montreal in 1974, he an intern me a senior med student, we had many adventures in Montreal. We met up again at the University of Alberta, I was finishing my endo training, and he was embarking on his career in ICU medicine. We have remained in regular contact and he deservedly has the nick name “Chip Beck”, a now retired PGA golfer who was renowned for his positive attitude.
 
On my wish list is to give Gorgeous (Seslija) both the Georgie and the Chip Beck Award on the same day !


What it is all about
At the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Rocket's sweater behind us
It is no secret I am an avid Habs fan. I grew up in the Montreal area and Les Canadiens always won! I think their success had a lot to do with my self-esteem. Ken Dryden had a very useful insight at Jean Beliveau’s funeral. In 1953 when he joined the team, they had won about the same number of cups as the Leafs. While in the team, they won 10, and still dominate the league in cup wins. There were so many great teams and that’s what Dickie Moore said at the funeral, they played as a team and won as a team, you could tell he meant it.

This year, Bergevin has made some shrewd moves. It is a tough job, the hardest part is divesting of a player while he still has worth to another team but a diminishing value to yours. He seems very effective at this. The Canadiens are a legitimate Cup contender, the powerplay looks good on paper, defense is deep and Price healthy will dominate.

The Arts Report:

I have only seen 3 questionable movies, all the rest have been great.

The Chinese Mayor gave a real insight into the autocracy of the Chinese Communist power and protest at some level seems to be tolerated. The ability to re-settle people at will was astonishing. It reminded me of our drive from the airport to the Olympic Village in 2008. It was about 20 miles and every 250 yards was a Paralympic banner hanging from a light standard, both sides of the road. The task was completed in 24 hours! They apparently conscripted thousand of workers to complete the task, amazing. The movie brought me back to fond memories of the Beijing Paralympics.

The Bird's Nest Prior to the Beijing Paralympic Opening Ceremonies

Hundreds of kids at the opening ceremonies in Beijing in perfect unison




















 
Donovan leading the Canadian Team into the Bird's Nest















This movie is educational, not likely to make theatres.

Songs my Brother Taught me. Slow moving, I could not decide what the message was; however photography strong as was scenery. Will not make theatres.

Ingrid Bergman Documentary: Very informative, my how she held her beauty. A remarkable woman and a very powerful story well told. A film worth an award.

The VIFF is now over, I highly recommend Vancouverites attend next year, it is well worth it.

Election 2015:

PMO: Prime Minister Obsessive
I have already voted in an advanced poll, a much saner use of time, however I still waited 20 mins, mostly blue rinsers or hairless guys like me. This is perhaps a harbinger of the October 19 turnout.

The Pretender
The final week will be hectic, there are still undecided voters out there but the trends appear to be clear, the NDP is returning to their usual percentage after the unions started to squirm re the TPP.

The Dauphin
The vacuum is being taken up by the Liberals, the key question is whether the seats going sideways between the NDP and Liberals, or are there additional seats going to the opposition? 






The Hugger





Elizabeth May remains popular but without any legitimate ground swell. The trees do not appear to be on the registered voters lists.





The polls tell you popularity, not voting intentions. The pollsters do not help here although the internal polling by the parties have better data, they are not sharing for strategic purposes.

I remain in a minority but am still calling a Conservative majority.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Hugh to you and your family! Derrick.

    ReplyDelete