Friday 29 January 2016

Carry On

Dr. Hugh Tildesley

Status Update: The CT report was not available 3 weeks after the test. I called on my colleague Patrick Vos at St. Pauls and after a few emails he was able to get on their system. He reviewed the distribution, shape and importantly the density of the liver deposits. There has been growth, however modest but importantly, the density is only slightly more than water. This picture is consistent with necrosis (decay) as a result of the poisons. This now all adds up with my clinical state and is most reassuring.

Blood work done today (Jan 29), shows that the Hgb has recovered to previous levels. In my meeting with Dr. Renouf we discussed an email I sent to him and we have come to an agreement that we will continue on current therapy until/unless I develop significant side effects, clinically show deterioration, or markers or imaging become worrisome. 

A dilemma is the CT scan which shows variable changes, are these tumour or necrosis. We will do a PET/CT, which should help resolve the question. The meeting was extremely positive and I am in a good place.

 

Tesla Titillations: I am still trying to perpendicular park. The rain perhaps interferes however I will persevere on clear days. Otherwise happiness quotient remains high.


The Arts report:

Add caption
The Big Short: I read the book last year and the movie was an excellent portrayal. The depiction of corruption and manipulation kept me up that night. The movie is well acted, tells a compelling story and well worth the price of admission. There are great performances by all but I fear they will be “ diluted” out of an Oscar.



 

Maps, Mountains and Mosquitos, The McElhanney story 1910-2010. Katherine Gordon





The last 8 months has been a revelation as I have spent quality time with close friends. There have been some amazing overlaps in history not previously recognized. My good friend Andrew Thompson exemplifies one of those examples. We have known each other for 35+ years; we have done many things together. At Christmas I found out his grandfather Thomas McElhanney was his grandfather and was briefly a partner in the firm. He undoubtedly knew my grandfather.He was also a BC land surveyor.

Tildesley Creek still wilderness
My grandfather came to BC in 1913, he was a P.Eng, and employed by the government as a surveyor. I never met him, but verbal history describes him as a somewhat of an odd duck. 
(I come by my idiosyncrasies honestly!), as a younger man he travelled and worked extensively in Africa and of course hunted big game. In BC he was lifer with the government and somehow Tildesley Creek is named after him. He also was a golf addict and my late father hated having to caddy for him.

The two must have known each other and one can wonder what their relationship might have been.

The book reminds us of the incredible resourcefulness, physical strength, and integrity of that generation. The firm was on the cutting edge of applying the latest technology to their business. The patriarch, William McElhanney, kept the business thriving through connections, maintaining staff loyalty and surrounding himself with excellent people. It is hard to imagine but they built numerous tunnels without GPS, ultrasound etc. and were always within centimeters of their targets, using trigonometry!

Social:

My brother David was in town for the ‘Gold Show”. He is now 70, very scary. We initially could not visit due to a wicked cold from which he eventually recovered. He joined the 5 o’clock club and the dinner with the TWA. Donovan joined us as well, a great evening and I am glad he and Donovan could partake in the kibitzing. Donovan continued to pitch his insurance products; his tenaciousness remains me of him turning on the jets for the last 50 M of the 400 free. I did not advise him that such behavior is against club rules; I expect he would have selective hearing on directions and saved my breath.

At one point Slugger described us as” deviates”, and only accepted correction from Google and settled on the term “ deviants”. Since he included himself in the definition retribution was difficult to justify.

What does February bring?:

I will be in Palm Springs with the Pope and Gorgeous, Feb 7-12. I should get 3-4 games in. Cart golf should make the experience less arduous.

I have started lessons and hope not to embarrass myself.

February 21-28 we will be in Tofino, this will be our third year going to watch the storms, read and walk. 

Some selected scenes from last year:

 


Our cottage in the foreground
 



We will be home Sunday evening (Feb 28) for the Oscars. Catherine has organized a family competition as historically we watched the show together. I am looking forward to the competition and the comments which will be going back and forth. I think Hamish should have an advantage but maybe he just knows too much which often leads to the dreaded “ Overthinking”.

Feedback: I have received many unsolicited comments on the blog. These are greatly appreciated and I will try to maintain quality, and humour with the odd rant. Thanks for all the positive thoughts.



Until next time….

No comments:

Post a Comment